Live course where registering a user requires management approval?

Hello all, I am looking for some help. Does anyone have a live course where registering a user requires management approval? What tool do you use, or how do you go about doing this, other than having the manager provide the URL to the course, or having someone from our team enroll users (there might be hundreds)? Since this will not be a one-time use for this group and other groups are also considering this road, I am open to all recommendations.

thanks
Julie

Hi Julie - we use the access code in situations like these. You can use it for paid or free courses. Here’s an example:

I should clarify - we give the manager the approval code to hand out to people. We do not monitor if the code is subsequently given to another person who does not have approval. Honor system…

We’ve used a webform. then the manager can go in and enroll/approve them. I think another of our managers somehow used the waitlist feature.

Hi Jam, how do you set up this access code?

From the course go to Edit > Course settings > Pre-requisites and add the Access code - I believe it can be anything you want, but I would avoid making it complicated or using 0 or O or other letters/numbers that can be confusing.

1 Like

Very helpful, thank you!

thanks Julie. I forgot about the access code since we have never used it. I will put that out as an option.

Elizabeth how do you the webform? Is it in the outline? or sent before hand?

we send beforehand. but it would be lots of extra steps. seems the code would be the easiest option.

Just a thought. . . .

Have manager fill out approval on a webform for an employee
Email is sent to manager and employee with a link to the page and an access code.

That way, you are out of it, and do not have to field things. . . just a thought.

p.s. I would have the link to a manager filling out the webform on the course page that is locked with access code :slight_smile:

Note: Access Codes are cASe SenSITive

Susan Benysh
Mayo Clinic

Hi Julie, we use an access code as well.
The person who is approving/requiring the course completion will send an email to the individual with a link to the course, the access code, and instructions. Since we use this mostly for enduring activities we also use the Ethos Analytics feature to send out scheduled reports with enrollment/completions.

Hi Gabriela,

The reporting scheduling sounds interesting. Can you share how this is done?

Thanks

Of course!

1. Select the EthosCE Analytics option from the EthosCE Admin Menu
  2. Scroll to the Public EthosCE Analytics section, and then go down to the Reports area, and click the “Enrollments” option
  3. At the top of the report, click the Filters option, you can enter the course’s NID number on the 2nd field, and add a date filter if needed.
  4. Click RUN on the top right to view the enrollment report for the course (this button may be hidden, you can hover over the title of the report and you should see the option)
  5. Now, to schedule an email delivery of the report, click the gear icon next to the RUN button, and select the schedule option. You’ll get a pop-up menu with a lot of options. Fill out the report settings as needed and click Save All at the bottom.

You can schedule a report weekly, daily, monthly, or even schedule it to be sent only when new enrollments have been registered. It’s a very useful tool to keep someone outside of the system informed on enrollments without giving them admin access.

Thanks Gabriela, I like the idea of the report.