How to allow previously taken classes to be taken again with an updated date

I thought this was talked about before, but is it possible to allow previously taken classes to be taken again with an updated certification date? I have a group that has several courses they do not want to create again because the content is relevant still, so they are hoping to have users’ retake and update the date in the certificate.

Thanks for any solutions!
Julie

HI Julie - from an accreditation compliance perspective, we never override a course with new dates. We clone the course and create a new one. And from a documentation perspective, we are required to keep data for 5(6?) years at our institution, so would not want to wipe that historical information.

1 Like

thanks Julie. This is only for attendance credit and not for accreditation purposes (sorry should have mentioned that before). They were hoping for an easier solution after I suggested cloning. Really, I do not think there is one.

If you are only doing attendance, you can extend the expiration date, but use Tokens on your certificates to get that information to be accurate. We rarely do a hard coded certificate - opting to use tokens for the titles/dates/names/etc.

Susan Benysh
Mayo Clinic

Hi Julie, we have this same issue. For any number of reasons, a course may need to be repeated–for example, the licensee starts a new job or works at 2 different locations–both of which require a specific course with the original certificate not accepted by the 2nd employer. We been around and around with Ethos for a couple of years about this but have been told that the programming is too deeply embedded in the system to make this change. We were also told to clone the course but the cloning function is clunky and and time-consuming and once a course is cloned, we have 2 copies of the same course on our website. This is an infuriating and frustrating glitch in the Ethos system with no good solution. For certain courses, we simply retire the 1st course and publish a copy with a new course number. But this isn’t a good answer and the frustrating part from a business standpoint is we have no way of knowing how many customers we lose because they are unable to repeat a course.

Hi Lauren,

You describe our similar situation very well and we share your frustration with this aspect of Ethos. Hopefully it can be addressed in the next version or round of enhancements.

Debbie–Ethos has made it very clear to us that this is a non-issue and will not be addressed. And we’ve tried!

We have, too! Still, the more voices the better. You’re not alone.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.