Using Webform Conditionals to Trigger Course Objects

It would be great if webform conditionals could interact with course objects. I often come across situations where it would be easier to direct participants if I had the ability to create “tracks” in course outlines. If I could set questions to ask the user what credit type they are interested in, then they can trigger the course objects they need to complete to appear.

Right now, I have to use more than one course page to mimic a “track” functionality but as we add more credit types into the mix and more requirements that are specific to each credit type, it becomes confusing for the user. For example, someone claiming just AMA credit has no reason to interact with a quiz that’s required for MOC II under specialty boards. Yet, we still have to somehow require these two users to complete certain objects based on what credit they are interested in. But, we also have objects both user types would be filling out, like a course evaluation.

Being able to trigger course objects based on webform questions will allow users to customize their track with simple selection type questions. It would be more likely that we can eliminate child courses or simply additional course pages entirely with this kind of functionality. It would also mean easier reporting, because admins wouldn’t have to look over multiple course pages, meaning multiple reports.

So in summary, we can cater to multiple credit types and multiple user types within the same course. While minimizing the need to have the user navigate multiple pages, and objects that don’t pertain to their own credit claiming experience.

Hi,

Yes, I have asked about having the ability for a course object to be conditional for MOC. Today if there is a required pre and/or post- test and one course is built that forces everyone to complete the MOC requirements and not everyone attending wants/needs MOC. We build a lot of extra course relationships because of this in order to not force those learners to do something they don’t need to do. Plus it forces the learners that need MOC to complete two courses and as you said they need to know this and how to find the second course.

I like the idea of the object being controlled by a question or two and agree could eliminate the need for as many course relationships and the reporting issues that come with that.

Thanks

Karen

1 Like

This is something we would be interested in as well - or have objects somehow triggered by credit type - so the quiz would only be triggered for people with ABS MOC listed in their profile, for example.

We have just turned voting on for this topic! Please be sure to vote!

Yes, I agree.

We have interdisciplinary courses with nurses, OTs and PTs and sometimes only the therapists needs post-tests.

Conditional options in course objects would be great.

I agree and will vote this one up; however, I would ask that the SSO situation be kept in mind–we don’t have the ability for EthosCE to determine which people get what because the SSO only shows if end users are members or non-members. Profiles are built in our AMS system, not in EthosCE, so that limits our flexibility on this.

It’s actually because of this that I chose to base this functionality on webforms instead of profile fields. Even in our situation, we don’t map to what we’ve designated our optional profile fields that contain fields for info related to MOC II. Our MOC credit types could be mapped to this but we’ve opted not to do that. If course objects appeared based on this then we’d always have issues with people who meant to fill it out in their profile but just didn’t or did part of it but left their DOB blank for example. Therefore the credit type and objects wouldn’t appear and confusion would ensue.

Profile set-ups (and how users actually fill them out) are too variable and I don’t feel they’d be the optimal way of doing this. However, most if not all EthosCE users can control the webform object and conditionals within them.

This seems like something we would use, but I’m curious how the certificate requirements are set up. Or do you send users to a completely different course if they need to complete a quiz that others don’t have to.

Patricia Merry