Creating a course with linked references in the content

Hello hello!
So we’ve been thrown a bit of a curveball from our team and have a program that is supposed to go live in a few weeks (Nov 1) and our team that does the actual building just found out about it. The past few activities of this type another employee who is no longer at our company built and basically did the front matter and pre-test within our system then it linked to content that was built by a vendor, then linked back to our system for the post-test and evaluation. We’d like to avoid that, but I’m unsure of how to create the content the way it will need to be created especially with the time constraint.

Basically it’s text with case questions built in (which are easy enough to add) but the tricky part is that they also have a ton of references and you’re able to see the info associated with it when you hover over the numbers (see picture). Has anyone built content with a ton of references before that might have some insight?

Thanks so much!
Danielle

Hi Danielle,

You can do this but it will take a bit of manual effort. It’s undocumented and unsupported, but it works on desktop and mobile. Here are the steps.

1. Select the text you wish to see the hover appear on.
  2. Click the link icon in the WYSIWYG editor.
  3. Set the link type to “link to anchor in the text”
  4. On the advanced tab, set the stylesheet classes to “views-tooltip”
  5. Click “OK”
  6. Click the “Source” icon in the editor.
  7. Locate the link tag you just created and insert the following: "tooltip-content=“The reference will go here” and update the content with your reference.

Here is a screenshot of what it will look like in code.

And a screenshot of what the user sees:

Of course you can use CSS to change the text size, colors etc., but that’s up to you.

If you think this would be a good feature to support and make easier, create a topic in the product suggestions area.

Thank you so much, that is very helpful! If one reference is used in many places will that cause an issue, or is there a way to link to many in one go?

Thanks!
Danielle

With this approach there is not a way to link to many at one go.

Hi Ezra,
So I attempted to also test this using anchor links for each references and am separating the content by topic. I’ve been playing around with creating this as a book-- is there any benefit to that or would it make more sense to do multiple course content pages?

Thanks!
Danielle

A book provides additional navigation options for the learner so if you were going to create more than 2 course pages I would recommend using a book.

On it, thanks so much!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.