Using RSS recordings for an Enduring activity

We have an RSS activity that would like to record its sessions and make them available for learners that did not attend live to view and claim credit. My understanding from ACCME is that this would need to be a separate enduring activity. Has anyone done this before and if so how did you set up the Ethos course if recordings will be posted after the live activity occurs (monthly)? Appreciate any insight!

1 Like

The ACCME has a caveat for RSS recordings - basically, if the recording is going to be made available to the same group who would normally participate live, then it doesn’t need to be considered a separate enduring material activity. Just something to be aware of!

https://www.accme.org/faq/if-we-record-our-regularly-scheduled-series-rss-so-learners-who-miss-session-can-participate

Thank you! However, the recordings will be made available for anyone on our platform/at our location to view/participate. So - I believe we will need to consider this one a separate activity.

One thing that you need to consider is that if a person attended the Live version, they cannot claim the credit for the recorded version. There are 2 ways to make sure this doesn’t happen.

1. Have a parent that houses both courses, and make it so they can only choose one of those courses.
  2. In the Pre-requisite of the recorded course, block enrollment if they completed the Live course.

Susan Benysh, Mayo Clinic.

You could consider treating the event as a hybrid, or Other, activity format so that the live event and the recording are two parts of the same activity. That way learners can engage live and also review the recording, or new learners can review the recording, but you avoid the “double dipping” issue Susan mentioned. We do this frequently with our webinars.

Hi Steve,

Can you show a screenshot of that set up?

Thanks

~WRD000.jpg

Hi Paula! Here’s a screenshot from a recent one:

We build the course initially to support registration and attendance at the live event. Afterward, once we’ve marked attendance and added the video, we “unhide” the course object for the recording and turn off the attendance requirement so that future learners register and get access to the video file. But it’s one assessment/evaluation and one credit claim regardless of which format they participate in.

Steve

image002.jpg

This is very helpful.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you all!
Steve, to clarify, instead of doing one as RSS and one as Enduring you would consider the entire activity as “other?” Are there specific guidelines for this type of activity/does it align with an ACCME category? Our entire office had turnover and as a result all of us are new so we have a lot to learn! Thanks again.

Hi Susan,
We were looking at using your suggested option #2, but it looks like in the block enrollment setting you can only select other courses. The RSS piece of this activity is set up using a series and sessions. Do you know if there’s a way to block enrollment if they’ve completed a specific session?

I’m thinking we could also just use a course and child courses for the RSS activity and its session dates, but I’d like to keep it as simple as possible and not re-create something.

I am not seeing a place on RSS to block the enrollment if another session has been chosen. Unfortunately, you may have to do the parent/child relationship to have those enrollments blocked.

Susan

We’ve managed to do this successfully so far with a workaround.

Our RSS has a post-survey that is only accessible if the learner marks their attendance. This survey is set so only one response per learner is accepted.

When we create the course version we reference the same exact post-survey. If the learner has already completed the post-survey for the RSS they won’t be able to submit a response in the course. This has worked for us so far with no issues. I ran a report at the end of our last reporting cycle on excel with learners from both the RSS and enduring versions of the activity, and did not catch any duplicate credit claims. I did find learners that enrolled in both but only completed one, and I’ve received calls from learners who are unable to proceed on the enduring version due to this.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.