Timer on iFrame

It would be ideal to have a timer option for any MP4 videos added to iFrames.

This would allow us to force a user to stay on the object for the duration of the video and prevent fast forwarding.

In our case, this would enable us to do away with some SCORM-based courses and speed up production time.

I believe Ezra was exploring a new video platform to integrate with EthosCE to address this issue.
Ezra, would you be able to provide update on this?

Thank you,

Olivier Petinaux | MS | Senior Manager | Distance Education and E-Learning | 312.202.5375
American College of Surgeons │ Division of Education
Blended Surgical Education and Training for Life®

1 Like

Yes, we are working on an integration with a video provider that will provide video hosting, transcoding, streaming and reporting. We’ll provide an update when things are further along.

As a workaround you can use the course object access controls to prevent a learner from accessing the next course object in less time than it takes to watch the video.

Update: An integration with Warpwire was released in EthosCE 7.7.

This is good to know

Do you use the object settings-access-event-time? Which drop down item?

Also, can you change after users have already completed the course?

You would do this with the “Event” access control.

Set the access rule to X minutes after the user started the video where X is the length of the video. For example, 60 minutes in the screenshot below.

Selection_856

Ezra, on my view I only see that following options.

I don’t see one hour video. Please advise.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

The list displays the course object that you have in your course.

In my example, I created a course page course object and embedded a video in it. I named the course page course object “One hour video,” but it can be named whatever you want. But the name doesn’t matter. Just select the course object that contains the video.

As an aside, it’s a best practice to give your course object descriptive names. It makes them easier to identify later. I recommend that when you add the course object you then immediately click “settings” and give it a name.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Ezra,

I did rename the course object to “course video” however, I do not see it on the drop down list under the event settings. Should I create a JIRA ticket? Please advise.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Can you confirm you did this in the course object settings and saved the outline?

Yes, I did. That is the screenshot I sent you earlier. On the screen shot you don’t see the course object that I renamed “Course Video”.

I see the issue. You are trying to set the access requirement on the same object you want to restrict access to.

That won’t work as it would be impossible to restrict access to this object based on the date of when you start the same object. The learner would never be able to start it. For that reason the object you are editing will never appear in this list.

You will need to set the restriction in the following object. In that way, learners won’t be able to move forward to it until they spend the allotted time on the course video object.

Ezra, does the iFrame allow for bookmarking?

Marie Vital Acle, MPH, MCHES
Manager, CME Programs and Online Learning
8900 North Kendall Drive| Miami, Florida 33176
Direct: 786-596-1668 | Main: 786-596-2398 |Fax: 786-533-9706
[/uploads/ethosce/original/1X/12feabf17bd8a09598892e3384f7b6944d2afb46.png]

The learner can bookmark the course object, which is their location in the course.

If you want the learner to return to the last watched location in the video you will need to use SCORM or a video provider that stores this in a cookie and does it automatically if you are logged in. For example, Youtube does this by default for videos over 20 minutes.

I totally agree with this! Excited to read that you guys are considering an integration with a video provider to allow us to upload MP4s and monitor time, etc. This would also assist us greatly and allow us to avoid the use of SCORM which causes lots of issues for people as far as pop-ups, adobe flash, issues with loading time, etc. for many of our courses. I vote yay!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.